Education, Research and Service – now start-ups too? How important is the role of universities in developing tech entrepreneurs and building start-ups?
Universities play a critical role in educating the next generation of talent needed for society. Increasingly, many universities are also embarking on various programs to help their students become innovators and entrepreneurs. How much should they focus on this vis a vis their core educational role? What are some good practices that have led to positive outcomes?
Key questions to explore
• How do we overcome the ‘publish or perish’ mindset in
academia that deters professors from spending more time on innovation?
• Getting involved in a startup while at university may affect a student’s grades. Should we be concerned?
• How should universities deal with students who want to drop out of school to pursue their entrepreneurial ambitions?
• What programs are most effective in developing an innovative mindset among students?
• Should universities get involved in managing a venture fund to invest in their startups?